Thursday, June 25, 2015

20 Days And Counting

I have an appointment for eligibility evaluation for Hybrid Cochlear Implant in July 2015.  Since the appointment was set,  I have been furiously researching through the Internet and reading books. There is a lot of information out there about Cochlear Implants but not so much about Hybrid Cochlear Implants.

While I am not eligible for Cochlear Implant, I may be eligible for the Hybrid.  I have bilateral moderate loss in low frequency sounds with sharp sloping loss in high frequencies.  Thus, I can hear vowels but not many of the consonants (i.e., s, sh, ch, z.) I am highly dependent on speech reading; meaning that I am dependent on people facing me to have any type of quality in conversation.  Still women's and children's voices tend to be in higher frequencies resulting in difficulty following conversation even when I can see their lips. Conversations in noisy environments?  Impossible.

As of now, I am aware of two potential stumbling blocks to my eligibility. My hearing loss is longer than 30 years and Cigna insurance covers Cochlear Implants but not Hybrids. The good news is Cigna's current policy is up for review this July.  Maybe they will no longer consider Hybrids experimental. Maybe, at the same time, I meet all eligibility requirements Cigna will approve the surgery.  It could happen...

I'm a little disconcerted that one clinical study indicated almost 20% of participants reported no change in their speech recognition. Still 80% saw little to great improvement.  Around 6% loss residual hearing.  So there is definitely a risk to this surgery but, if approved, I would be doing one ear - my least functional ear - not both.

Now, all I have to do is practice patience. I am ready to get this process moving. To help me wait, I would love to hear from people with experience with Hybrid Cochlear Implants.

No comments:

Post a Comment