Monday, June 29, 2015

16 Days And Counting

I checked my right hearing aid and it is working again.  I think I will keep it in the dryer box until my eligibility evaluation. I need both hearing aids for the evaluation and the weather here has been rainy most afternoons.  I don't want to take a chance on it quitting again.  My left hearing aid has not had similar problems so I will continue to wear it.

Today, I sent Scott R.,Cochlear employee,  a message with a link to the Cigna policy I found on line.  I am trying to alert Cochlear that the current Cigna policy, that denies funding for Hybrid CIs,  is up for review next month. The current policy considers Hybrid CIs experimental.  I am hoping that Cochlear has someone on board that follows this type of information and who advocates with the insurance agencies during their policy reviews. The best case scenario is Cochlear will provide information that will promote Cigna to change their policy in advance of my needing the policy.

My hearing aids are nearing the end of their lifespan.  The last quote from a for profit company was $7,000 for two hearing aids. Insurance covers the audiological evaluation but will not cover hearing aids.  As I understand it, the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation will cover the expense for basic hearing aids but not the newer model that was recommended. After the quote from the for profit and my right hearing aid breaking, I went to  Florida State University's Schendel Speech and Hearing Clinic looking for more options. C. Johnson, audiologist,  told me about Hybrid CIs.

But are Hybrid CIs really an option for me? I am reluctant to get more hearing aids.  It will be more of the same.  Hearing aids amplify sounds. My high frequency loss is a sensorineural type of damage. So no matter how loud you amplify the high frequency sounds, I am not going to hear them.  Hybrid CIs offer something different.  Hearing aids to amplify the low frequency sounds and CI to recreate high frequency sounds for the auditory nerve to pick up. If the insurance says no, I don't know what the next step will be.

For now, I must practice patience.




No comments:

Post a Comment