Thursday, July 2, 2015

Researching Hybrid Cochlear Implant

I am currently reading New Beginnings: Acquiring And Living With A Cochlear Implant.  It is a book of 13 stories authored by people who had the CI procedure and 2 stories by parents of children who had CIs. I have not read all the stories yet.  Of the stories I have read in this book, one person is not using his CI.  In his particular case, he did not hear sound with his CI until two months after activation.  For him, the main issue was not being able to "tune out" noises. He stated he felt like a "child with Attention Deficit Disorder" when using his CI.  He had trouble concentrating on school work as he spent so much time investigating where new sounds were coming from.  He chose to stop using his implant and return to the world of silence.  It should be noted he had a choice. He is part of a deaf community and has ability to use American Sign Language to communicate with his peers.  I, on the other hand, am not part of the deaf community as I was raised in a small, mostly rural community and initially did not have access to a deaf community.  Furthermore, I am not bilingual.  I do not know American Sign Language.

The other stories in the book, I think have been realistic.  They are not "turn the switch on and I am in the hearing world" type stories. For most of the people who receive CIs, they had to work to learn to distinguish the sounds they were hearing and convert the sounds into understanding. However, these authors have continued to use their CI and are glad they did the surgery.  Even the one author who no longer uses his CI, does not regret the surgery.  He is glad he had a chance to tour the hearing world.

Most of the stories I am finding are by or about people who appear to feel they had nothing to lose and everything to gain by the CI procedure  I, on the other hand, feel there are some cons to potentially losing my residual low frequency hearing.  The Hybrid CI is designed to prevent this type of loss in hearing but no guarantee.  While there are some other risks associated with surgery, the other risk that has me most concern is vertigo.  Several people have mentioned following the CI surgery they had vertigo lasting from a few hours to months.  I have a lifelong relationship with vertigo and it is not fun. Interestingly, my last run through with the local balance clinic (several years ago) suggested migraines as a cause for my vertigo.  Since I stopped working I have not had the frequency or severity of vertigo and that is good.

So, I am still weighing the pros and cons of a Hybrid CI  and  I am still looking for stories of people's experiences with a Hybrid CI.



No comments:

Post a Comment