Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Audiological Criteria for Eligibility - Check

Today, my audiological evaluation lasted three hours.  My right hearing aid quit working at the very beginning of the appointment.  The audiologists were wonderful. They did not hesitate. They pulled out loaner hearing aids, programmed them to my hearing, and off we went to the magical sound booth.  Testing, testing, testing-first the right ear, then the left ear and back again; in quiet environments and in noisy environments; sounds, words and sentences.  My hearing (or lack of hearing) was thoroughly tested. 

The results, as of today, three audiologists and one graduate students have determined I meet eligibility for a Cochlear Implant.  Now, my file is sent to the surgeon.  I may live in a city that is the capital of the state (and has two state universities) but the surgeon is located at a teaching hospital three hours away. The estimated time for response from the surgeon is two to three weeks. 

If found eligible by the surgeon (and the insurance company) I will have to go to Jacksonville for the surgery but, I will be able to do the mapping and follow-up therapy here at FSU Schendel Speech and Hearing Clinic.  The cochlear implant services are fairly new at the clinic but they indicated they are already working with several people who were going out of town for their mapping and therapy.  Also, they recently referred a person who will have implant surgery on July 21st.  I suspect they have just touched upon the need in north Florida. As the word gets out, they will have people flooding the clinic. 

I am excited to be involved with this progressive technology.  I will do my best so that my efforts will somehow benefit others. Somehow  today, the wonderful team at FSU Schendel Speech and Clinic made better hearing seem within reach. Hope is a priceless commodity 

No comments:

Post a Comment