Friday, July 3, 2015

13 Days and Counting

I spent a lot of time on the computer today. I broaden my search beyond Hybrid Cochlear Implants (aka short-electrode cochlear implant) and opened up to cover a wide range of topics related to rehabilitation and high frequency hearing loss.  I found a lot of information. It was valuable to help me make an informed decision.

I learned about Floating Mass Transducers (aka middle ear implants.) I love the name Floating Mass Transducer but, in the end, I ruled FMT out as an option for me.  There are some good things about the FMT such as not having to worry about the ear irritation that comes from wearing hearing aids.  But, there were other concerns that left me thinking this is not the best way for me to go at this time. 

I  found two companies that offer an electronic-acoustic implant-Cochlear and Advanced Bionic Corporation.  Both have good informative websites designed to sell you on their product.  Both have strong products and offer consumer support. Both have people to help you navigate the insurance companies.  Both are heavily into research and development.   I had trouble deciding between the two corporations' product.

But, the deciding factor was where I could get services after the implant.  Following surgery, there will be activation, implant programmings (aka mapping) and listening therapy. What I learned today is Florida State University's Schendel Speech and Hearing Clinic is associated with Cochlear.  The clinic is just a few minutes away from my home. They have been there for me in the past and it would appear they are going to be in my future. One decision made. 

13 days and counting toward the eligibility evaluation


No comments:

Post a Comment