Sunday, July 5, 2015

July 4, 2015

A wonderful birthday. In the morning we went riding in the forest and shooting pictures with Tom and Teresa.  Then,  friends and family gathered for dinner and to celebrate my birthday. Facebook was full of well-wishers.  I am 59 years of age and embarking on a new journey for technology to improve my hearing.

In the evening we sat on Tom's and Teresa's front porch, with Gayla and Craig,  and it was a perfect example of where my current hearing fails  me.  We were in the dark watching  neighborhood fireworks. The conversation and quips were flowing.  I missed 3/4 or more of the conversations.  My husband was ever so gracious to check in with me every now and then.  But, he could only do so much interpreting in that situation.

My research into Cochlear Implants includes joining  blog communities, facebook communities, reading articles on internet and reading books.  I am finding lots of success stories: some are fabulous stories of hearing immediately.  Other stories are not so successful; where individuals are waiting months to hear and the progress is ever so slow.  Then, there are a few who are so overwhelmed by the noisy world they stop using the implant.  The facebook community, Cochlear Town USA, has made me aware of issues and solutions that I have not begun to consider.  The good news is there are solutions.

The only thing, not known in advance, is whether the implant will work for me or not.  By sheer numbers, the odds are in my favor but, I can't be sure until I go through the surgery.  Not even the experts can predict beforehand how well the implant will or will not work.

Here I am ten days out from the initial evaluation and talking as if I am going to be declared eligible, insurance is going to approve, and the process is going to move quickly. The reality is this is probably going to be a slow process with stumbling blocks along the way.  Therefore, I have to get a handle on this thing called patience.  I have been obsessing on CI for 20 plus days already.  I am not sure I am going to get a handle on this thing, called patience,  in this lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment